Friday, September 26, 2008

scary celebrity obsessions

so the "news" finally broke yesterday that clay aiken is gay. was anyone really surprised? i think it's great that he can be open about who he is and not live a life in hiding. i greatly respect his thought process about raising his son:
"It was the first decision I made as a father," Aiken told the magazine, which arrives on newsstands Friday. "I cannot raise a child to lie or to hide things. I wasn't raised that way, and I'm not going to raise a child to do that."
it takes a lot of courage to be a single parent, especially as a gay man. clay seems to have many people around him who care deeply about him, to support him, and to support his son.

okay...enough about clay. i was reading an associated press article where they were discussing the reactions of clay aiken fans - "claymates." wow...some crazy responses that i find scary, truly sublime, dumb, and somewhat ridiculous. i feel bad for people who have such little excitement in their lives that their worlds begin to revolve around celebrities. for example:
"This is really shocking news as I had no idea he was gay," read a comment posted by "Sheridansq." "And now I have to deal with this. I am not sure what to say to people who know I was a fan. ... I didn't go to work today and am not answering the telephone."
really? not answering the phone for fear of ridicule for someone you don't even know personally being gay? Lord help us! ~aroll

No comments: