Monday, June 16, 2008

the good ole' days

i can't believe at the ripe old age of 28 i am already saying things like this, but my how times have changed. on wednesday of last week, i filled up my gas tank to head up to los angeles for a couple of days to help some friends with an event. i had not filled up my tank in several weeks. it cost $75 to fill my tank!! my heart skipped a beat, i think, as the numbers just kept going up until the pump finally clicked off. on my way home tonight, i stopped to get some gas and paid $4.59 per gallon. back when i was a kid and first started driving at the age of 16, i paid $.76 a gallon. at one of the intersections near my school, there were 3 gas stations - 7-11, conoco, and phillips 66. they were constantly having price wars which made that corner the cheapest gas in all of oklahoma city. it was my sophomore or junior year in college before gas prices went over $1.00.

i am just grateful that i don't have to drive very far these days. my two farthest drives are to work and to the turf club. it's one of the great advantages of now living in a more urban area, and in proximity to so many things. next step is getting my bike fixed so i can start riding to more places...maybe even to work!! ~aroll

No comments: